With the heat wave hitting so much of the country, water use is up quite a bit. Another incentive for using less water in daily life, so you
can use some water to keep yourself cooler with hoses, sprinklers & pools without feeling too guilty. Don’t forget to drink more water too.
You can easily reduce your water usage with a few simple tips:
- Use a low-flow showerhead and put a bucket in the shower to catch the water while you are waiting for the hot water. Then you can use it to water
plants or for cleaning floors, etc.
- Turn off water while brushing your teeth. Use just enough water to wet your toothbrush & then when rinsing.
- Check water heater for leaks and rust. If leaking or rusty you need to replace it. You might want to consider getting a gas tankless water heater.
- Inspect faucets, sinks, and pipes for leaks. Repair or replace as necessary.
- Install low-flow on all fixtures in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoor showers, outdoor kitchens & anywhere else that you may have sinks or
toilets (garages) to cut hot-water consumption in half.
- Use timers on your irrigation system or drip hoses to water early in the morning & for longer duration on fewer days. Longer water times gets the water deeper into the ground & to the plant roots. Watering earlier in the day means less water less to evaporation.