How to recycle Christmas trees in Pinellas County
December 30, 2015 in central west Florida, Clearwater, Clearwater Beach, Clearwater Florida, Dunedin, Florida, Green & Energy Saving, Holidays, Pinellas County, St Pete, St Pete Beach, St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, Florida | Tags: Bellair Beach, Clearwater, Dunedin, Florida, Green & Energy Saving, Pinellas County, St Pete Beach, St Petersburg, Treasure Island
Recycle Christmas trees
Residents are encouraged to recycle their Christmas trees this holiday season. Recycled trees can be processed into useful mulch. To prepare Christmas trees for recycling, residents must remove all decorations, including hooks, garland, tinsel and lights.
It is important to not place the trees in a bag or trash can but rather leave them loose for pickup. For apartments and condos, residents should consult with their property managers for disposal instructions.
The following cities offer Christmas tree recycling:
• Belleair Beach: Curbside collection with yard waste on regular day. Trees must be cut in 4-foot sections with all trimmings removed. Condo residents can put trees in dumpsters if they fit. Pick up on Thursday, Dec. 24 and Thursday, Dec. 31. For more information, call (727) 595-4646, ext. 120.
• Clearwater: Curbside collection with yard waste on regular day. For information, call (727) 562-4920.
• Dunedin: Curbside collection with yard waste on regular day from Saturday, Dec. 26, to Saturday, Jan. 15. Residents without curbside yard waste pickup can plan a pickup day with their association property manager. For information, call (727) 298-3215, ext. 1328.
• Gulfport: Place tree at curb or alley for regularly scheduled Wednesday yard waste pick-up. Do NOT bag or place tree in can. For multiple-dwelling units, place your tree near the dumpster without blocking access to it. To prepare your tree for recycling, remove all decorations, including hooks, garland, tinsel and lights. Trees will be chopped and processed into mulch, then made available to residents at the Gulfport Neighborhood Center, located at 1617 49th St. S. For more information, call (727) 893-1089.
• Indian Rocks Beach: Curbside collection with yard waste on Wednesdays. For information, call (727) 595-6889.
• Largo: Place trees at curb on your regularly scheduled yard waste day. Please do not place trees at the curb in bags or with decorations attached. For more information, call (727) 587-6760 or visit www.largorecycles.com.
• Madeira Beach: Curbside collection with yard waste on Wednesdays. For more information, call (727) 543-8154.
• Oldsmar: Drop off at 107 Shore Drive W., across from Park Boulevard. Open from Tuesday, Dec. 22, to Friday, Jan. 15. For more information, call (813) 749-1266. Drop off locations will be available Mondays to Sundays, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Pinellas Park: Place curbside or drop-off at the city’s brush site at 12950 40th St. N. Mondays to Sundays, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information, call (727) 369-0690.
• Safety Harbor: Cardboard recycling is collected during residents’ recycling day. Cardboard must fit in the 64-gallon recycling container. Christmas tree is recycled with yard waste Wednesdays. No lights, tinsel or plastic bags. For more information, call (727) 724-1550.
• South Pasadena: Progressive Waste will pick up Christmas trees curbside on regular trash pick-up days.
• St. Petersburg: Drop off at the St. Petersburg brush sites:
– 1000 62nd Ave. N.E.
– 7750 26th Ave. N.
– 2500 26th Ave. S.
– 4015 Dr. MLK Jr. St. S.
– 2453 20th Ave. N.
or put your tree out for curbside collection by Friday, Jan. 8, for collection on Jan. 9. Set out Friday. If your tree has not been picked up by Jan. 9, call (727) 893-7398. Please place the tree no closer than 3 feet beside the garbage container in the usual collection location (curb or alley).
• Tarpon Springs: Drop off at Yard Waste facility located at 898 S. Levis Ave. for a fee or put out for curbside collection with yard waste on regular day. For more information, call (727) 943-4837.
• Treasure Island: Curbside collection with yard waste on regular day. For more information, call (727) 547-4575, ext. 253.
The following cities do not offer Christmas tree recycling: Belleair, Belleair Bluffs, Belleair Shore, Indian Shores, Kenneth City, North Redington Beach, Redington Beach, Redington Shores, Seminole and St. Pete Beach. Trees will be picked up at curbside, but they will not be recycled.
Residents of cities that do not offer tree recycling or residents living in unincorporated Pinellas County can recycle a tree by dropping it off at Pinellas County Solid Waste at 3095 114th Ave. N. in St. Petersburg. The cost is $3 per load for a maximum of five trees. The cost for six or more trees is $37.50 per ton. The facility is open Monday to Friday, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturday, from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Place the tree curbside on a regular trash day. Although, the tree will not be recycled, it will be collected and disposed. Any resident can recycle their tree by bringing it to the Solid Waste Facility at 3095 114th Ave. N. in St. Petersburg. For additional questions regarding Christmas Tree disposal, residents are asked to contact their city.
The flyer on Christmas tree recycling is available online at www.pinellascounty.org/solidwaste/getridofit/xmas_tree_recycling.pdf. For more information on recycling in Pinellas County, visit www.pinellascounty.org/recycle.